Flavoursome Chickpea Curry with Indian spices. Perfect for a quick and easy evening meal and a great source of protein. Keep a portion for lunch the next day!
Cooking time 25 minutes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 2 medium onions chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 inch fresh ginger peeled diced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1-3 tbsp curry paste of your preference or masala paste
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- Handful of cherry or plum tomatoes chopped
- 1 can chickpeas (rinse before adding)
- Juice of 1 freshly-squeezed lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh coriander for serving
- Optional chopped fresh red chilli
- Option to add chicken
- In a large pan, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring continuously, until softened and it starts to turn clear (5-10 minutes).
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the garlic and ginger and stir. Add the coconut milk, curry paste, turmeric, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for a few minutes.
- Add all tomatoes to the pan and stir well. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add them in. Continue to cook. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for around 10 minutes. Stir in the fresh lime juice.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander and chilli.
Serve hot over brown or basmati rice, sweet potato or eat on its own with flat bread or chapati.