Cooking time: Please note that the thicker the cut, the longer the cooking time. Pork ribs – 1 to 2 hours on the stove, 25 to 30 minutes in an instant pot/pressure cooker. Use quick release.
Pork belly and pork shoulder – 1 to 1 ½ hour on the stovetop, 20 to 25 in an instant pot/pressure cooker. Use quick release.
1 tbsp oil
2 cloves garlic
1 red onion, quartered
500 grams pork, cut into serving pieces (i.e. pork ribs/ pork belly / pork shoulder)
3 tbsp fish sauce, add more if preferred or salt to taste
5 cups water
1 medium size taro, peeled then shaved or cut
2 large tomatoes, quartered
1 medium size radish, peeled, thinly sliced
2 banana chilies
2 tbsp tamarind powder/tamarind paste in a jar, add more if preferred
Ladies’ fingers (okra), ends trimmed
Eggplant, cut into ½ thick inch
Bunch of green long beans, cut into 3-inch length
Bunch of water spinach (kangkong)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and onions. Sauté until fragrant and translucent.
- Add pork. Cook until no longer pink. Pour fish sauce and simmer for 2 minutes or until fragrant and juices appear. Pour water and let it boil. Skim off scum as it arises. Add taro and cover with a lid. Cook until pork is tender. Add more water as needed.
- Season with salt or fish sauce, to taste. Add vegetables in this order: radish, chili, tomatoes, eggplant, ladies’ fingers then green long beans. Cover with lid and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until vegetables are half done.
- Pour tamarind powder or choice of souring agent. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add water spinach or your choice of leafy greens. Simmer for another minute and remove from heat. Serve with rice and enjoy!